A cover letter for job applications is critically important. It can hit hard – getting you an interview even when you’re NOT the best applicant! It’s true. In this article I’ll show you why and how. And I’ll give you some examples of cover letters for job applications.
Why a Cover Letter for Job Applications?
A few good reasons:
1) It guides the mind of the reader – tells them immediately how to ‘file’ and respond to what’s in front of them.
2) It’s a chance for you to be quick, concise and confident – a good message.
3) It’s a chance to put your ‘best foot forward’ – to powerfully show that you’re “the one” for the job, to present your case.
How to Write a Cover Letter for Job Applications
Here are some cover letter principles:
Be quick. Get to the point. Use short paragraphs. Use bullets.
This is not the place to write about how hard working you are.
This is a place to immediately satisfy the reader that you have what’s required for the job.
Cover Letter for Job Application Examples
Here are some examples to learn from and use:
Dear [find and use the personal name of the recruiter]
Re. Accountant Position Advertised in The Star Workplace (June 15, 2009)
“Accountant – available to organise, streamline, and get things back on track.”
My suitability is as follows:
- NDip in Financial Accounting
- 5 Years experience in Accounting roles
- Strong skills in reorganising, getting up to date, and creating “order out of chaos” in an accounting department
- Rated by KPMG external auditors in 2007 as “super organized”
Please see CV attached for further details.
Available for interviews with immediate effect.
See how short it is. See how it got to the point? No going on and on with irrelevant details. Just a concise, confident, powerful message.
Here’s another cover letter for job applications.
Mr Abel Modiba
Human Resource Manager
Re: Application for Bookkeeping position.
Dear Mr Modiba
I am applying for the position of BOOKKEEPER as advertised in The Star, Workplace (01.01.2009).
My qualifications match your needs very closely and I believe could be of immediate impact for you.
Your requirements VS. my qualifications are as follows:
- “3 Years Experience – bookkeeping” : I have 4 years in total with good companies.
- “Matric” : I have Matric, with a distinction in Maths (SG)
- “Advanced Pastel” : I have 2 years experience with Pastel and have completed an advanced course.
I’m 100% confident I can quickly slot into the role, but also I look forward to discussing the specific challenges of the role with you and the employer.
I have very positive and contactable references. I will follow up with you on Wednesday January 20.